Photo by NordWood Themes on Unsplash
This final questionnaire is about looking forward to the new year - 2018! And it’s designed to help us make some definite goals pertaining specifically to our health. What is health? Well, you can hear my opinion of that here and here, but I like Katy Bowman’s take from her blog (where these questions come from) post in Alignment Matters. She says, “Define health as that state of feeling happy in all aspects of yourself - in the body, in the mind, and in the soul, and being pain, disease, and medication free.” That’s a good place to work from for this exercise. So let’s begin!
Creating Health in 2018
1. What would you like to be your biggest health triumph in 2018?
2018 is the year of the upper body strength. Push ups and pull ups! I don't have the expectation of completion, this isn't the sort of thing you complete. But I'm putting my focus here.
2. What health advice would you like to give yourself in 2018?
Walking and meditating daily. You always mean to, and you often let everything else take priority. You know how good it is when you do it. Let’s make these a real priority, move them to the top of the list.
3. What major effort are you planning to improve your health results in 2018?
Matt doesn’t know it yet, but we’re going to have monkey bars in the back yard. I’ve threatened to make a Ninja Warrior course back there for years, but this one is for real.
4. What would you be most happy about completing in 2018?
A section of the Superior Trail! And a couple camping trips.
5. What major health indulgence are you willing to experience in 2018?
I’m going to get a silent meditation retreat in this year. I’m researching it now, and the more I look into it the more I want it.
6. What would you most like to change about your health in 2018?
Sugar is my weakness, I have a sweet tooth. I am at the stage where I recognize that I feel poorly when I eat sugary things, I just need to step into the part where that translates to abstaining.
7. What are you looking forward to learning about health in 2018?
I’m really looking forward to beginning the Anatomy in Motion training. It begins in March, but it’s a lot of info! I suspect I’ll learn all kinds of amazing things.
8. What do you think your biggest health risk will be in 2018?
Learning to say no to things and people.
9. What about your health are you most committed to changing and improving in 2018?
Stressing less by being more aware of what I want versus what I think other people want.
10. What is one as-yet-undeveloped talent you are willing to explore in 2018?
I’m an adequate swimmer, but I’d like to add regular swimming to my movement activities this year. It’s fun, I like it, and you get to move in all sorts of ways. I’ve got the goggles and everything. Let’s do it!
11. What brings you joy and health and how are you going to have more of that in 2018?
I really enjoy writing, but I’m often self conscious about sharing it. So I intend to blog more this year, but also to journal more. And perhaps writing of other sorts too!
12. Who or what, other than yourself, are you most committed to loving and serving in 2018?
My community - not just my studio/movement community, but my greater community. I’d like to explore how movement serves not just our physical health but our emotional health through our sense of community, and how our willingness to move can improve our local environment.
13. What one word would you like to have as your health theme in 2018?